DREAM Dachshund Rescue

I am amazed every day by the capacity of dogs to love and forgive the human race. I hope to give people a better understanding of what rescue is and why rescue is needed. The road is heartbreaking and frustrating. I meet so many dogs with such sad histories. And then I see them turn themselves around, with love and stability, and I think this is the happiest road there is, as well as the saddest. For the doggies, always the doggies. www.dreamdachsierescue.org

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Luke the down dachshund is coming home today.

Luke has had an eventful week with the UGA vet school.

His vet student in the neurology department, Carrie, has been giving him a lot of attention. He couldn't have his myelogram until Friday, so Carrie found a loaner cart for him to use and he tooled around the halls and played ball with her in the cart! That gave me hope that even if his surgery doesn't work, he will still be a happy doggie. DREAM will order him a cart as well.

We made the decision to have the surgery, and he came through well. Time will tell if it will help him at all. Perhaps it will at least give him some bladder and bowel control, even if he can never walk.

I drive back up to Athens today to pick him up, and start his recuperation. We'll be doing water therapy, passive motion exercises, anti-inflammatories, and lots of crate rest.

Since my other "down" dog, Tabby, has had a little soreness in her back this week, she'll be in the crate next to his. Maybe they will entertain each other! I need to buy lots of tempting toys and chewies to keep them occupied.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM , Blogger Charles Jade's Mom said...

    Hello. My chocolate, long-haired dachshund, Charlie (a girl) just came home from the surgery center yesterday....the obvious problem, herniated disc. The question I have is about the passive range of motion exercises. I hace not yet made an appointment with the Physical Therapist but would like to start exercise at home. Is there a guide, instructions somewhere that you know of??? I want to be sure I am doing things correctly. You Luke is adorable and I hope he starts feeling better super soon!
    Thank you in advance to anyone with help/suggestions.
    Charlie's Mom in Dallas

     
  • At 2:21 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Hi there, there are a lot of resource on line for at-home physical therapy. Swimming can e incredibly helpful too. Have you visited www.dodgerslist.com, a terrific repository of resources for people in this situation? Love to Charlie....Please email me directly, I'd love to talk. helpmedream (at) gmail.com.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home