DREAM Dachshund Rescue

I am amazed every day by the capacity of dogs to love and forgive the human race. I hope to give people a better understanding of what rescue is and why rescue is needed. The road is heartbreaking and frustrating. I meet so many dogs with such sad histories. And then I see them turn themselves around, with love and stability, and I think this is the happiest road there is, as well as the saddest. For the doggies, always the doggies. www.dreamdachsierescue.org

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The latest. It ain't the greatest.

The current challenge: 18 dogs at a breeder who is retiring. Where can they go, so that we can ensure that other disreputable breeders don't get them and continue that sad life?

DREAM is coordinating with DRNA, SSDR, and other groups yet to be found, to save these 18 dogs' lives. Unless we can do it, they will go to animal control next week, where they will surely be put down. (I refuse to use the word "euthanized" anymore. It translates to "good death." Let's call things what they are.)

Their county has only a tiny AC facility with 5 cages, already full. And owner surrender dogs are always euthanized first, since the holding period does not apply (AC already KNOWS the owner isn't coming to find them).

It's no easy task to find foster spaces for 18 dogs. Then we also have to find 18 vetting appointments, coordinate all of the logistics of getting them vetted, and getting them back, and getting them back to foster homes, and paying the bills, and figuring out how to get them transported the longer distances to rescues outside of the Atlanta area. All assuming they do not have health issues, which they probably do.

Wish us luck, and send us ideas.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger The Dowdydiva a.k.a. Cecile said...

    Have you called your local television stations and newspapers? It's amazing what a close up of a little doxie nose can do...

    Good luck placing the lovely doggies!

     
  • At 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with Dowdydiva...get the press involved. I adopted my Puppy Mill rescue dachshund, Jasmine, because of a story in the local paper.

    I also suggest contacting other rescue organizations in the Atlanta area to help you. I just googled Atlanta dog rescue, and a number of them popped up.

    Good luck, and I hope you find homes for those doxies.

     
  • At 1:19 PM , Blogger Rowdy and Bette said...

    18 Dachshunds? What a daunting task. Thanks for the tireless work that you do.

    Joey and Maggie....
    The Long and
    Short of it All

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Blogger MaggieandBandit said...

    Try the Savannah Dachshund Club at SavannahDachshundClub.com. There's a listserv there that might help you.

     
  • At 8:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I reside in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada on the east coast. I have a small group of dahchsund owners that meet for social events and we converse through facebook. That being said, one good way to spread the word fast on these 18 dogs might be to use facebook - post the information on dachshund groups. I will post it on my two groups for you...
    I wish you and your team all the best in this endeavour. God Bless you for your humanity and passion for dachshunds.
    Tanya

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home