DREAM Dachshund Rescue

I am amazed every day by the capacity of dogs to love and forgive the human race. I hope to give people a better understanding of what rescue is and why rescue is needed. The road is heartbreaking and frustrating. I meet so many dogs with such sad histories. And then I see them turn themselves around, with love and stability, and I think this is the happiest road there is, as well as the saddest. For the doggies, always the doggies. www.dreamdachsierescue.org

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Wagging Tails and a Full Run in the Cart!

On Saturday Craig and I took two of the dogs for a long walk. Understandably, the ones left behind were quite bitter...especially Luke. So, just before dinner I put him in his cart and took him out on the "open road" -- our block. He was so excited and happy to be out! His ears blew back, and his tail shot straight up into the air, and after a couple of minutes, he broke his cheerful trot into a full-out gallop. I had to run to keep up with him! The neighbors all came out of their houses and off their porches to see, but he was too impatient to stop and chat...he wanted to GO! His little cart just flies, and his front legs really gallop! He looks so happy!

Earlier that day, he was wandering around the house in the cart, and I was messing around in the kitchen. He came to the kitchen door, and when I turned and saw him, I said, "Hi there, Luke!" and his tail went up and wagged back and forth several times. This time there is no doubt...a real wag and not a reflex.

That evening we did a lot of his therapy and stretching exercises on his back legs, and long massages on his front ones, since they had gotten such a workout during his outing. He was exhausted but content. When I do the PT and massage, he lies right down and enjoys it. Makes me feel like I should light a candle and put on some ocean wave CDs to complete the "doggie spa."

Luke goes back to Caring Canines Rehabilitation (part of Loving Touch) on Tuesday.

To date we have spent about $2500 on his care. If anyone reading this would like to make a donation, you can do so at www.dreamdachshundrescue.com via PayPal. Luke says "Thank you!"

1 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You should get him the CD, Ask the Animals: Songs to Make Dogs Happy! It includes such titles as "Scratch My Back" and "I Love Food." I'm not making this up. See: npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4530776

    Your pal, Terri

    p.s. Owen says xo!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home